Game artistry makes you a wizard who can paint universes into existence.
Making game art is one of the core game development skill specializations.
There are a number of art subskills to be learned:
- Concept art
- Environment drawing: Fleshing out level designs into detailed worlds
- Character drawing: Making characters distinctive and memorable.
- Painting: Adding color and depth to drawings
- 3D modeling
- Environment modeling: Making structures and landscapes.
- Prop modeling: Making objects for characters to interact with.
- Character modeling: Making characters. Harder than environments.
- 3D sculpting: Model characters and organic shapes.
- Clothing modeling: Sculpt flowing fabrics for characters to wear.
- 3D rigging: Preparing a character model’s skeleton to be articulated by animators.
- 3D animating: Keyframing a character’s movements for walking and actions.
- 3D texturing: painting substances onto characters to give them detail and color.
- 3D baking turns high-poly art into low-poly normal mapped equivalents.