Resources to help you make games including tutorials, tools and assets.
Unity Learn is the official tutorials of Unity. You should do as many of these as possible, especially the scripting tutorials.
Game Development Tools
Game development involves lots of tools for modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging and animating game environments.
The Unity game engine is the most popular way to make games and apps for over 21 platforms. Personal edition is free and full-featured.
- Sketchup is the easiest 3D modeling app for making basic 3D geometry to use in games. Sketchup tips for Unity:
- Placeholder materials should be assigned to different parts of models in Sketchup, then you can replace the materials in Unity.
- Pivot points in Unity depend on placing the model at the center of the XYZ axis.
- Scale matters so try to make things using real-world measurements. You can enter measurements for lines after clicking the first point and pointing along a locked axis by typing in “1m” for example and hitting return.
- Clean up 3D warehouse models with poor pivot points and scaling that need fixing for best use in Unity.
- Maya is the #1 3D content creation tool for games in professional studios.
- Blender is an open-source 3D studio that can do mostly the same things as Maya for free.
- Audacity is the open-source audio editing standard. You can use it to edit clips from Freesound or record new sounds. Its’ noise removal filter is very useful for cleaning up recordings made near computer fans or other loud environments.
- GIMP is the open-source image editing alternative to Adobe Photoshop and Fireworks.
- Adobe Fireworks is a versatile combination of the best of Illustrator’s vector tools and Photoshop’s bitmap tools. 30 day free trial.
- Adobe Photoshop is the industry-standard image editing app. Free trial available.
- Substance Painter is a next-gen 3D painting tool that lets you paint not just colors but Allegorithmic’s surface materials, which alter roughness and other lighting data all at the same time. If you want to do photorealism, Substance Painter can do it.
- Unity Asset Store Free Assets includes free things in every category. You can always filter search results by FREE to see what’s available.
- Must-have free assets from the Unity store
- Unity Wiki has tons of great scripts and shaders provided as example code.
- Google Image Search with the keywords “texture” and “repeating” often has results.
- All CG Textures has quality free textures.
- Sketchup 3D Warehouse is the largest library of free 3D models in Sketchup format. You can download freely and use in your games. You can also upload your own creations to 3D Warehouse.
- Yobi3D is a 3D model search engine. You can search with simple keywords and see the results in 3D.
3D Character Rigs
- Creative Crash has many free 3D character rigs in Maya format.
- FreeSound Project is a searchable library of free sound files that you can use in your games. You can also upload your sounds to FreeSound for others to use.
- Free Music Archive is a library of free Creative Commons-licensed music.