Songbridge is the music and sound mentoring group of Gamebridge Unityversity. If you want to learn how to make songs and sounds, participate online and in person with our tutorials and weekly class series.
- WHAT: Songwriting and audio mentoring session in Ableton, Logic, Audacity & others
- WHO: Both beginners and experts
- WHERE: Noisebridge Hackerspace, 2169 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA
- WHEN: Tuesdays at Noisebridge hackerspace from 6-8PM PST.
- COST: FREE
- WIKI: Noisebridge.net/songbridge (feel free to add content and links)
- DISCORD: Discord chat (Slack/Teamspeak)
What to bring
- Laptop (Loaner sometimes available)
- music gear you want to learn or share (instruments, controllers, interfaces)
Gear we have
- Ableton Live control surface
- Dynamic Microphone
- MAudio USB audio interface
- MIDI keyboard
- Alex Peake: teaches basic Ableton, expert Logic & Reason (empowerthyselfATgmailDOTcom)
- Douglas: Ableton teacher
- Josh Hertel: instrumentalist performer & producer (jhertel242ATyahooDOTcom)
Peer to peer mentors wanted
Songbridge is a peer-to-peer mentoring group and if you have expertise you’d like to share, we’d love to have you help teach something at class.
We primarily teach Ableton Live for its cross-platform popularity and Logic Audio which is incredibly intuitive but Mac only. We also teach Audacity, a free audio editing app, for recording and manipulating audio files.
Resources lists great audio and music software.
We’ll be writing up several tutorials we’ve taught in class.
Ableton’s session view to experiment
Ableton control surfaces
Putting music into a game
Dynamic music responding to game events
Musical emotions: How to evoke feelings with a song
Piano Primer: How to instantly learn to play piano
We are beginning to stream and record sessions live on our Twitch for people to participate remotely and catch up on sessions they missed.